And What about Organic?
Hi! I’m Shari, found of Two Moms in the Raw.
In my email signature I have written: Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.” Hippocrates. My signature is a reminder to me to stay focused on my path of wellness as well as a reminder to others that Two Moms in the Raw is committed to producing snacks in its purest and most powerful form.
For 10 years we have stayed true to this position by sourcing only organic ingredients. We will continue to source 100% organic ingredients because they are the best ones for us to eat and help keep the planet healthier, too.
Here are some facts about organic farming:
- Artificial chemical fertilizers are prohibited – instead organic farmers develop a healthy, fertile soil by growing and rotating a mixture of crops, adding organic matter such as compost or manure and using clover to fix nitrogen from the atmosphere.
- Pesticides are severely restricted – instead organic farmers develop nutrient-rich soil to grow strong, healthy crops and encourage wildlife to help control pests and disease.
- Animal welfare is at the heart of the system and a truly free-range life for farm animals is guaranteed.
- A diversity of crops and animals are raised on the farm and rotated around the farm over several seasons, including fallow periods. This mixed farming approach helps break cycles of pests and disease and builds fertility in the soil.
- The routine use of drugs, antibiotics and wormers is banned – instead the farmer will use preventative methods, like moving animals to fresh pasture and keeping smaller herd and flock sizes.
- Genetically modified (GMO) crops and ingredients are banned.
- Facts from the Soil Association (www.soilassociation.org)
And what does this all mean to you, our children and our planet? Organic farming will keep our earth alive and vibrant. Nonorganic methods deplete the health and integrity of the soil and kills life. Any food manufacturer not willing to support organic fully 100%, should not be manufacturing food. The non-GMO movement has been so successful we have forgotten the importance of organic.
Even though I am 100% committed to my health and the health of my family, I know it’s hard to stay on track; especially, when there are so many distractions in the grocery aisle. Even at a health food chain, it’s hard to weed out the good, bad and ugly. Ugly for me is a product claiming to be healthy, but uses nonorganic and genetically modified ingredients that are harmful to the body as well as ingredients made in a laboratory. Have you read a label lately? It’s frightening.
Take a look at the ingredient list of a leading, non-GMO, gluten free cracker:
CORN STARCH, WHITE RICE FLOUR, ORGANIC PALM OIL, MODIFIED CORN STARCH, DEXTROSE, EGGS, SUNFLOWER LECITHIN, SALT, GUAR GUM, SODIUM BICARBONATE, AMMONIUM BICARBONATE, ROSEMARY EXTRACT.
Yikes! Cornstarch? Dextrose? Can you say lab rat? Dextrose is a chemical made in a laboratory used to mimic the sugar in our body. Read about dextrose and see all of the harmful side effects. Would you still buy this cracker knowing these facts?
What is the solution? For me, it’s stay true to my beliefs and purchase organic and non-GMO products. 100% organic means non-GMO. I urge you to join me. We, as consumers, can set the bar higher for ourselves and it will impact food manufacturers and the products they make. If we don’t buy it, it won’t sell and our message will be heard.
Two Moms in the Raw has produced 100% organic, non-GMO, raw, sprouted snacks for 10 years. We go through the cost to be certified and the work to source the most nutritious foods in the world. It’s not easy, but it’s important to us to use ingredients in their purest and most powerful form to make healthy snacks for all to enjoy! Check them out at www.twomomsintheraw.com.
Happy label reading and healthy eating!